Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Jornfell a handmade battleaxe

Jornfell is a handmade battleaxe styled after a Norse Dane axe, though the shaft I gave it was slightly shorter than typical axes of that style.

It's name, Jornfell, means "Iron mountain"in Old Norse, which is carved in Elder Futhark Runes on the hickory wood shaft. Motifs of jagged mountains and snow-capped peaks adorn the wood, in an attempt to capture the spirit of the cold northern lands that were the inspiration for this piece.

 This was my first completed and sold work of art, and was a major learning experience for me. I plan on returning to bladesmithing, including axes, once I get a much more permanent location for a workshop, as currently, college finds me in a cramped studio with my wolf hybrid Miakoda. Not exactly the most ideal workshop, but I still manage, somehow.

Jornfell sold for $125.00 and was sent to its' new home.






2 comments:

  1. These pictures are awesome. So is the axe, of course ;) I love how you staged them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not bad considering I only had a 5 megapixel cell phone camera to work with!

      Delete