Saturday, January 26, 2013

Wild Cries- Why wolves?

The frosty night air bites fiercely at my face as I linger surrounded by strange, foreign silhouettes. The only light source is the silver orb in the sky, yet the shadows dance and flicker as if alive, animated by a nonexistent fire. I glance ahead through the trunks and branches, unsure of what lies beyond their skeletal forms
A strange foreboding, a fear, of the dark.
Do I dare press onward, and embrace my fate?
I gaze back down the dark forest trail that led me to this spot.
            Will I remember?
            I cannot turn back. Not now.
            An uncertain step forward, towards the row of trees.
            A light snow begins to fall, deafening the woods.

            Still, I linger, withdrawn.

            The silence is shattered by the ghostly cry of a beast, sorrowful. 
            A lost soul, returning home.
            Inhaling deeply, I take a step.
            Another cry echoes through the night, a symphony for the moon.
            It was I who replied, unknowing.
            A warmth fills me, staving off the cold.
           Ahead, the forest seems less dark, and I venture into the unknown.

 This, I feel, is a good way to explain why I decided to go with the name "Whispers of Wild Wolves."
It may come off as particularly cheesy, with the triple W's and all. Hopefully, this will help reveal why I selected such a name.
I cannot even think back to a time where wolves have not been a recurring theme in my life. Almost obsessively, I have had a strange interest in the misunderstood creatures.
Perhaps it was their mysterious ways, their strong familial bonds, or their shy nature that attracted me. 
 Their embodiment of freedom and the wilderness contrasting their constant persecution and hunting was a poetic song I felt strongly for.

Whatever it was, they filled my dreams, both waking and asleep. Wolf symbolism always caught my eye, and I felt a closeness to the animal that I cannot quite explain. 

It was through this strange obsession that I found my other passions. As if they whispered to me, setting me on my path, I found writing, as well as blacksmithing, two things that would ordinarily not go hand in hand.

The wild northern ways of the vikings, and their immense amount of wolf symbolism caught my eye immediately, and urged me forward. I began to teach myself bladesmithing techniques through trial and error, along with the help of the folks at Don Fogg's Bladesmith Forum. Never in my experience on the internet have I found such a caring and kind, friendly community, free of rude behavior and negativity. For that I am grateful.

And so, if you have stuck with me through this post, I thank you. This is a side of me that is ever trying to breach the gates, though I seldom allow through.  
Thanks for reading
Daniel

No comments:

Post a Comment